Security Tips for the festive season
The festive season is here with us again. As you set out on your vacations or settle in with loved ones at home, while shopping in stores or making online purchases, here are some tips that will guide you to ensure you and your family are safe.
Main Tip: Be Alert & Prevent
Security and Safety: Around the house
- Test your Alarm System to ensure it is working well.
- Check maintenance with your security company. Pay your bills in time. Insurance companies do not pay.
- Lock all doors and windows; never leave a key inside the lock of a door or window that is made of glass.
- Have an external security light; preferably with a timer.
- Do not leave signs of absence when you are away.
- Inform your neighbors and you Security Firm of when you will be absent so that they can watch over your premise from time to time while you are away.
- Ensure you have your emergency contacts saved for easy requests for back-up or response.
- Ensure the gate signage of your security company is visible, this will deter criminals
- Do not leave ladders, spades, tools outside the house
- Park your car discretely, preferably in your garage, outside street view
Security and Safety: Travelling
- Always lock your car at all times while you are inside.
- When travelling, ensure that your luggage is locked or wrapped.
- Keep your ID or passport and other essential documentation on your person.
- Use only authorised taxis at airports. Do not pick up hitchhikers.
- If someone demands your car, give it to them. It can be replaced.
- Let someone know your travel plans, routes and anticipated timings.
- Select hotels with adequate security.
- If closely followed and you are approaching your room, walk to a public location.
- Kidnappers and other criminals target the most vulnerable people. Always be aware. Be Prepared. Be Involved. Be Safe.
- Appearing lost will attract the attention of criminals. Even if lost, stay sharp and in control.
- Do not alight from your car to ask for direction unless it is safe to do so.
Security and Safety: Shopping
- Always carry your wallet in your front pocket.
- Carry handbags under your arm and away from the side of the street with traffic.
- Always check for your purse, bag or wallet if someone ‘accidentally’ bumps into you.
- Do not follow anyone who wants to help you shop or take you to their shop.
- Beware of distractions such as people who feign sickness or arguments.
- Avoid talking on mobile phones in public as you will not be fully aware of your surroundings.
- Be vigilant when returning to your car and loading your purchases.
- Shop with at least one other person.
- Be careful at ATM machines
- When shopping online, be alert to ensure that you are shopping from a genuine website. Verify URLs and do not give too much information.
- In the unfortunate event that you become a victim of crime, please do not resist.
- Report any incident immediately to the nearest police station
Watch more tips here.
SGA Group CEO & Chairman